Thursday, October 15, 2015

How to Make a Memory Quilt from Your Lost Loved Ones Clothing

My grandpa died a couple years ago and lately I've been thinking about him a lot, probably because I just came back from a trip visiting grandma.  All the wonderful memories of grampy are flooding back.

Here he is with his Harley-D (as he would call it).  Shortly after this he had to quit riding, he couldn't keep it upright anymore.  He got himself a little scooter and would ride that up and down the road in front of their house.  Didn't take long before that had to stop as well....


I had grandma save me some of his clothes so I could make a quilt.  Here's what I came up with:


His clothing was sparse and pretty stained up.  I purchased some white and black fabric and used his shirts as the larger blocks.   I also bought a striped sheet to use for the back fabric (it reminded me of men's shirt fabric and sheeting is an incredibly economical way of getting yardage).

He was in love with Harley's so I used a T-shirt of his as an emblem on the back of the quilt.

I did some simple hand quilting around the outer edges of the white rectangles and the larger squares.


A simple design but very striking and it's like getting a nice, warm hug from grampy!

Another project I've been working on for grandpa's clothing scraps are Memory Pillows.  

Have you made a memory quilt or something in memory of a lost loved one?  I'd love to see some of what you've created! 

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to remember grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, really wish he had more clothing so I could make more. I might be able to squeeze out one more but his wardrobe was quite limited.

      Delete
  2. Made quilts from my mother's old sweatshirts. It was such a great memory of her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...